Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Fabric District

On Saturday, my Mom, Christina and I headed to downtown Los Angeles to the fabric district.  Christina and I have been wanting to go, and it finally worked out that we could meet there.  It's a little overwhelming, and I didn't get as much as I hoped just because I didn't know what I was doing or where to go.  Next time though, I will come home with WAY more fabric!  And "next time"  needs to be relatively soon - hear that Christina?!  I will brush up on my bargaining skills ;o)

This place sold fabric my the pound.  I had never heard of that before.  You picked through dozens of boxes and they weighed it...for $2.50 per pound, you can get quite a bit.  It was about 1:00 when we got here and I was STARVING and had no patience to pick through these boxes.  Christina and I thought it would be funny though to stick your arm to the bottom of the box, pull something out, then challenge ourselves (or each other) to make something with it - next time!
(This is at Michael Lavine Loft)


The next 2 pictures I borrowed from Dana @ Made   I forgot to get them.  Her blog gave us a good starting point about what shops to hit ect.
While my Mom and I waited for Christina to meet us, we shopped around in this store!

They have a bunch of clothes and accessories that are SUPER inexpensive.  I got some headbands with giant flower 2/$1, a peasant skirt for a dollar, a giant bag of beads that I will donate to the school for $4.  But the best part is in the back, behind a wall, they have fabric that is $1.00 per yard!  I totally regret not buying more.  BUT this was our first stop and I didn't know what to expect from the other shops!
Here is the wall of fabric at the FIDM store!
Here is another photo from Dana @ Made that shows the street view.  The shops were tiny with tons of bolts of fabric.  If your looking for something specific, I think it would be hard.  I think it might be easier to just brows and grab fabric you like to add to your stash.


This is the regular Michael Lavine store - pretty much any fabric you can think of, they have here.  The catch?  It's not discounted like the street shops.  The quilting cotton was $8-$10 per yard.


This is the fabric yardage I cam home with...I swear it looked like more when I was carrying it around the street of LA!!
6 yards of knits - gray, dk gray, pink
5 yards of a lightweight woven fabric - white
3 yards of minky - black (only $5/yrd!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

back to top

Popular Posts